Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice – S14 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984

Temporary Emergency Road Closure at Asthall Leigh, unnamed road through Asthall Leigh


Oxfordshire County Council has been informed of a temporary emergency road closure on the unnamed toad through Asthall Leigh whilst Fire Hydrant works are carried out for public safety reasons.  


A temporary Emergency Notice is being made to implement the temporary closure and will operate from 25 November 2021. 

The anticipated completion date is 29 November 2021. This is a 24 hour per day closure.

This year for 16 Days of Action, which runs from 25 November to 10 December, the Council is organising events across the district to raise awareness on domestic abuse and how the Council can help victims.

Tuesday 30 November 2021 - Free Workshop on Domestic Abuse (open to the general public)
Venue: Committee Rooms, New Yatt Rd. West Oxon District Council Offices 1pm-3pm
Book a place to attend by emailing 

Monday 6 December 2021 - ‘Cut it Out’ for hairdressing and beauty professionals (A Domestic Abuse Awareness Event for Hair and Beauty Professionals who live or work in West Oxfordshire)

Online event, register here

Coming on the heels of the recently passed motion to commit to making West Oxfordshire streets safer for women and girls, the Council is marking 16 days of action against domestic abuse with a series of programmes across the District highlighting rural abuse.

A 2019 study discovered that domestic abuse in rural areas is under-reported by 50% compared to urban areas, and victims suffer for 25% longer than urban survivors. 

Councillor Merilyn Davies, Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said: “Domestic abuse is a horrible and insidious crime that affects victims physically, emotionally and mentally.”

“Victims often feel trapped and some may suffer in silence. As a Council, we take this very seriously and we want to make sure our residents feel safe, and know how to seek help if they are being abused or know someone who is.”

The Council, through Reducing the Risk, is offering two-hour sessions free of charge for groups of 10 or more people to learn more about domestic abuse, what support is available and how they can help victims connect to that support. For those that are really passionate and want to do more for victims and survivors of domestic abuse, there are also opportunities for Domestic Abuse Champion Training, which will enable them to be more active in delivering and supporting local projects in their communities.  

Covid-19 had a significant impact on victims of domestic abuse, with many unable to seek support or escape from abuse. These opportunities have been funded by West Oxfordshire District Councils’ Contain Outbreak Management Fund and will be delivered by local domestic abuse charity, Reducing the Risk.

In addition, Cut it Out, a learning event for hairdressing and beauty professionals will be held on 6 December 2021. Tickets are available for this online event through Eventbrite and for students at Abingdon and Witney College. Cut it Out is a collaboration between Thames Valley Police, West Oxfordshire Community Safety Partnership, Abingdon & Witney College and Reducing the Risk.  

There are plans to stencil poignant messages in car parks across the district. The hope is that as people see them they will stop for a moment and think about the message, their friends and family. The messages will point residents to local organisations that can help should they come across someone who needs support.  

More information about how the Council supports victims is available



The centre, located at 3 Welch Way, Witney, will welcome both over and under 18s at different times from Friday 26 November through to Sunday 5 December. Opening times will be from 9.30am until 7pm daily except for the first day (26 November) when the service will be open from 10am. It will operate as follows:

Monday- Thursday

Over 40 boosters only.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Under 18 first and second doses, plus over 18s first/second doses and boosters. 

No appointment is necessary. People may be asked to show proof of age

The drop-centre is the result of partnership working between Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust, the Oxfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group and West Oxfordshire District Council who set up a similar vaccination pop-up for adults in the same location earlier this year.

More information on the eligibility criteria for boosters can be found online.

People who attend the walk-in clinic for a jab will have their vaccination record updated online. As it is a walk-in clinic, people will need to queue outside and therefore is recommended to be suitably dressed for the weather conditions at the time.

Contact Information - West Oxfordshire District Council Communications Team -

Vulnerable households to receive support for food, energy and water bills this winter

West Oxfordshire District Council has been allocated £131,730 to support residents who are struggling to make ends meet this winter. This is part of the recently launched government Household Support Fund in which Oxfordshire County Council has been allocated £3.4m.

In West Oxfordshire the funding will be available through a number of different services to make sure the right support reaches those who need it:

  • Individual support through Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire who will provide emergency vouchers and financial help towards food, fuel and other essential household costs.

  • Support for those in temporary accommodation and housing need through Housing services

  • Support for Community food projects and Voluntary sector groups where they are working directly with residents in need

The first element launching this week is the Individual support element with partners Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire. This fund offers a significant lifeline for residents who may struggle to afford life’s essentials over winter. By working with CAWO residents are able to benefit from their wider debt and advice expertise. 

This scheme comes alongside further support announced for children and young people eligible for free school meals which is administered by Oxfordshire County Council

Cllr Jane Doughty, Cabinet Member for Customer Delivery said: “The winter months can be challenging for many families. This fund is a welcome relief and we’re grateful that vulnerable families in our district can benefit from it and be safe and healthy this winter.

“I would encourage households to come forward even if they are working, as this fund is available to any resident over 18 who can evidence need, regardless of work or parental status.”

The funds are not restricted to people in receipt of benefits and there are no requirements around recipients’ employment status.

Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire (CAWO) will oversee the voucher scheme which launches this week. Residents can apply by calling 01993 892063 or emailing - 

Referral partners can refer on behalf of a resident by emailing

Follow us.. / Facebook / Twitter / Instagram LinkedIn
Neighbourhood Watch Network is a charity registered in England & Wales, CIO no: 1173349

We have received the following update about the proposed Eynsham Park & Ride.

We are writing to update you about ground investigation (GI) surveys due to start on the site of the planned Eynsham park and ride w/c Monday 11 October 2021.


This is expected to take up to six weeks to complete, subject to weather and site conditions.


Works will cause minimal disruption and visual impact as most of the operation will take place within the already secluded park and ride site, and any works adjacent to the highway will be undertaken with temporary traffic management, which will be conducted at night, avoiding peak hours.


The GI surveys will inform the detailed design documents and future works methodology. The park and ride is part of the wider A40 road improvements programme, which will address traffic and transport issues in the area.  The programme aims to offer sustainable travel choices, which in turn reduces emissions and improves air quality for all.


For more information on the A40 improvements programme, please visit our news page at


If in the meantime you have any questions, please respond directly to this email (

Fuel poverty payment

West Oxfordshire District Council has announced a Fuel Poverty Grant scheme which residents on low incomes and in receipt of particular benefits can apply for in order to assist them in paying for heating during the winter months. Further details can be found online at

News from around our area - for more information on any of these items contact the Parish Clerk -